McKernin Woodworks

McKernin Woodworks See https://www.mckerninwoodworks.com/ or https://www.etsy.com/shop/McKerninWoodworks for all items available to ship today. Contact me for any custom items.
(3)

Woodworking is 70% sanding. The other 30% is sanding.

More shots of the insulation installation.
03/26/2024

More shots of the insulation installation.

I had lots of help working on the new wood shop last weekend.  All the walls and most of the ceiling is now insulated
03/26/2024

I had lots of help working on the new wood shop last weekend. All the walls and most of the ceiling is now insulated

01/01/2024

Lots of talk about the future of AI, and I'm over here sanding products made of wood.

Checkmate computers.

The first 2 sheets of drywall are up on the ceiling.  New 20 amp circuit for the bandsaw and drillpress.
11/28/2023

The first 2 sheets of drywall are up on the ceiling. New 20 amp circuit for the bandsaw and drillpress.

11/05/2023
The music in my shop is powered by Zune.  Yep, I'm that guy.
08/27/2023

The music in my shop is powered by Zune. Yep, I'm that guy.

200 board feet of Western Red Cedar.
05/20/2023

200 board feet of Western Red Cedar.

More progress on the cabinets this weekend. Kevin's Little Woodshop of Horrors
02/26/2023

More progress on the cabinets this weekend.
Kevin's Little Woodshop of Horrors

It looks like a simple rabbet, but I had to cut it blind from the opposite side.  Pretty happy with the result.At Kevin'...
02/12/2023

It looks like a simple rabbet, but I had to cut it blind from the opposite side. Pretty happy with the result.

At Kevin's Little Woodshop of Horrors

www.mckerninwoodworks.com

It's "Small Business" Saturday, you can't get much smaller than a one-man shop!
11/26/2022

It's "Small Business" Saturday, you can't get much smaller than a one-man shop!

I source out the perfect wood from a local supplier, each item is designed and cut by hand to protect the quality of the wood. Each is then hand sanded multiple times to obtain the smooth working surface. The final step is to apply our own custom blend of food grade mineral oil and bees wax. The fin...

11/21/2022

McKernin Woodworks shared a post on Instagram: "Sanding, sanding, sanding! The biggest part of any woodworking project is... SANDING!". Follow their account to see 162 posts.

Sanded to 600 grit, then oiled.
11/20/2022

Sanded to 600 grit, then oiled.

Sanding today
11/20/2022

Sanding today

Big glue up this evening.  This will be  5 different chopping blocks, 2 big one and 3 smaller ones.
11/12/2022

Big glue up this evening. This will be 5 different chopping blocks, 2 big one and 3 smaller ones.

Ogres have layers, onions have layers, parfaits have layers...  Sawdust has layers.
11/12/2022

Ogres have layers, onions have layers, parfaits have layers...

Sawdust has layers.

Finally, a day off of work so I can get out in the shop and start getting caught up.
11/11/2022

Finally, a day off of work so I can get out in the shop and start getting caught up.

Address

Sterling, VA

Website

https://www.etsy.com/shop/McKerninWoodworks

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when McKernin Woodworks posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The Business

Send a message to McKernin Woodworks:

Videos

Share

Category

“Pa Build It!”

I have been creating things from wood almost all my life, I really enjoy taking a piece of wood and finding out what it should become.

I spent many years building theatrical sets and props where defects could be hidden with paint and were not subject to up-close scrutiny. I had lots of help over the years from family and friends and learned something new from each of them. I have also taught many young people how to use power tools safely and fearlessly. We now have a grandson who believes I can build anything and his answer to many problems is, "Pa build it!"

I take great pride in my work which means I take the time to do it right. I source out the perfect wood from a local supplier, each project is designed and cut by hand to protect the quality of the wood. Each piece is then hand sanded multiple times to obtain the smooth working surface. The final step is to apply a finish appropriate to the function of the piece, for cutting boards this means a custom blend of food grade mineral oil and bees wax. Furniture pieces are hand-rubbed with oil finishes depending on whether this will be an inside or outside piece.

Expect natural wood defects in each piece. I love knots, swirls, mixed wood grains, natural cracks which will not effect performance, all add to the beauty of the finished product. I actively seek these features when I am sourcing the raw wood.


Other Home decor in Sterling

Show All